Major Probelm and Major Problem Review

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
Dena2

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 am

Hello Everybody,

i like to ask for your help/experience about Major Problem Review.
Especially i refer to ITIL Service Operations Book, page 64, Chapter "4.4.5.10 Major Problem Review".

ITIL says here "..After every major problem (as determined by the organiation's priotiy system)...."

Now my question: Does anyone of you use the definition of "Major Problem" in your companies? Do you simply name all highest prioritised Problems as "Major Problems"? Or do you set any additional preriquisits?
Like "any critical problem, which has caused at least 50 Incidents?"

Many thanks in advance for your help,
BR - Dena

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

you need to take a step back and ask yourself why you need a seperate identification of some problems as major and others as not major.

You only need this if it affects the way you can tackle the problem, perhaps in terms of resources or setting up a team with enhanced authority or something.

Once you work this out you can then look at the definition of problems that justify this additional effort and that will be your definition of a major problem.

Using the priority system (if based on risk and urgency) is a plausible shortcut, but only you can decide if it is suitable and sufficient for your organization.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718