Setting up a Problem Management function

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
elbow
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 am

hello folks

this is always one that i never really know the answer..
What would be the first things to do when setting up a PM function. I believe there is a service desk and basic IM function, so how do you build on that. Yes this is for a job interview :lol:

Any pointers are much appreciated!

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 am

I wouldn't build on that. If you do then your problem management function will be too tied to incident management as it is at present and therefore too narrow in (practical) scope.

I would define what is required of problem management and then look to see how much is available from service desk and incident management and at what else is required from them and elsewhere.

Try getting that over at interview!

(Maybe that's why I can't get a job)
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
elbow
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am

appreciate that, i think thats a fair answer and therefore as you say, its always inportant to see what the objective is and kinda work around that, seeing what can be made avaiable and i spose looking longer term, make recommendations on what can be implemented or improved