Problem Management MTTR "Targets"?

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
DustinW07
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Do any of you have targets/goals for how quickly you'd like to have a Problem resolved? I get that SLAs are highly discouraged in PM (since it can have a negative impact on the quality of the investigation/fix), so I'm just wondering if any of you use some sort of a Target to help guide teams through the PM process (i.e. 30 days for one priority, 90 days for another, etc.). I'm concerned that if there's no target whatsoever, Problems will just sit in a backlog and teams will continue to focus on Incidents since there's a measurable SLA for that. I understand that some Problems could take days, months, or years to get resolved...and in some cases, some may never be resolved. The purpose of the question isn't to hold teams to the fire for not having a Problem resolved in X number of days....just wondering how (or IF) you guys GUIDE Problem owners through the process using duration targets?

With Incident Management, having the defined SLAs clearly helps drive the work, but in Problem Management, this isn't as simple.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 am

Dustin

The PM Managaer is suppose to keep the teams working on the various Problems.

The solution is what can not be set in stone....

The work / time doing can be
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter