Change Management: how long are approved changes valid for

Discusssions, questions and answers relating to the open project: The ITIL Guide
gsyrichas

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:25 am

I have changes that have been approved in CAB and pending to be scheduled, how long can these changes be pending for before they are not valid anymore, and need to be reviewed again and revisited in CAB, what are the implications of a change being implemented too long after being approved in CAB?

I don't think you can approve a change waitng scheduling, and then it being implement in a years time.

Corde Wagner
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:18 am

With a specific date and time in mind, all "normal" changes should reviewed by the designated change authority (change manager, CAB, etc.) with an express purpose of ensuring that all possible conflicts/collisions and risks are mitigated. I agree that an "approved" change should be for the date and time it was approved for and as a change manager, if that date and time (window) are missed, the change will have to be rescheduled and approved for the new date.

If it were me and the date/time for the specific change were missed, I'd mark that CR as failed so that the reason it was not implemented is documented and the metric kept. I have the change requester create a new CR so that the failed change remains for the record and the new CR is tracked separate of the failed CR.
Corde Wagner
ITIL 4 Managing Professional - ITIL v3 Expert - v2 Red Badge - VeriSM-Plus - Certified Agile Service Manager