Problem Ticket Closure

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
sbh

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Hello, I am new to Problem Management, so please be patient with me 😊

I need so advice around Problem Ticket Closure where a workaround has been implemented but the ultimate fix could be many months i.e. low priority problem fix waiting to be incorporated into a bugfix or general release, competing against higher priority issues. I am using ServiceNow to track the problem’s and currently reference a JIRA ticket# for the fix within the problem ticket.

I am not keen on problems tickets remaining in an open state for months, how do you advise I manage this. Do I place the problem record into a “known error” state until the fix is applied and then close afterwards? or is there a better course of action, perhaps?

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback - Stuart

Corde Wagner
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 pm

Your approach to creating a bug in JIRA and then referencing the JIRA bug number in the problem record is exactly how I've handled this in the past. We created an extra field in the ServiceNow Problem record that provided a redirect to the JIRA bug if someone wanted to see more on the progress of solving that bug.

With the understanding that it may take a long time before that bug is addressed (if ever) and that the problem ticket and JIRA represent the tracking for the known bug/error, we would leave the bug fix process in JIRA to work it's course and close the problem.

Corde
Corde Wagner
ITIL 4 Managing Professional - ITIL v3 Expert - v2 Red Badge - VeriSM-Plus - Certified Agile Service Manager